Django Channels - Websocket connection failed (production)

I decided to add websockets to my project in order to communicate with the database instantly. But at first I decided to just check if websockets will work on production. I made a test version with chat from Django documentation. To my deep regret they only work locally and I tried to figure out what's wrong. But it didn't work for me.

The problem is that on localhost websockets work fine, but when I pour them into production, an error occurs.

In asgi I tried to replace test.routing with path(...), but it did not change anything.

import os

from channels.auth import AuthMiddlewareStack
from channels.routing import ProtocolTypeRouter, URLRouter
from django.core.asgi import get_asgi_application

import test.routing

os.environ.setdefault("DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE", "ERA.settings")

ERA_asgi_app = get_asgi_application()

application = ProtocolTypeRouter({
    "http": ERA_asgi_app,
    "websocket": AuthMiddlewareStack(

from django.urls import re_path

from test import consumers

websocket_urlpatterns = [
    re_path(r'chat/(?P<room_name>\w+)/$', consumers.ChatConsumer.as_asgi()),


location /ws/ {
        proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
        proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";
        proxy_set_header Host $host;
        proxy_http_version 1.1;
        proxy_redirect off;
        proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $server_name;

javascript code

const roomName = JSON.parse(document.getElementById('room-name').textContent);

        if (window.location.protocol === 'https:') {
            var chatSocket = new WebSocket(
            + '/chat/'
            + roomName
            + '/'
        } else {
            var chatSocket = new WebSocket(
            + '/chat/'
            + roomName
            + '/'

        chatSocket.onmessage = function(e) {
            const data = JSON.parse(;
            document.querySelector('#chat-log').value += (data.message + '\n');

        chatSocket.onclose = function(e) {
            console.error('Chat socket closed unexpectedly');

        document.querySelector('#chat-message-input').onkeyup = function(e) {
            if (e.keyCode === 13) {  // enter, return

        document.querySelector('#chat-message-submit').onclick = function(e) {
            const messageInputDom = document.querySelector('#chat-message-input');
            const message = messageInputDom.value;
                'message': message
            messageInputDom.value = '';

I tried changing nginx.conf, changed uvicorn to daphne, but nothing changes, it works on localhost, but not in production.

Back to Top